Sunday, July 06, 2008

Random thesis notes

I've updated a post from last year that described the completion of my thesis, and thanked various faculty and family who helped me during the long research and writing process.

Besides adding the final grade report from Prof. Johnston (my thesis director), I also removed the broken link to the archived PDF version of the thesis. It had been stored on my personal FAS Web account, but that expired in April and I have yet to find an alternate solution. I've considered Scribd, or hosting it my own, but would much prefer a database that's associated with the University, and can be used by other scholars studying Chinese media and foreign policy during the 1970s, 1980s, and early 1990s.

Update 3/15/2009: My thesis is now available via UMI/ProQuest's widely used academic database. You can read it here. Information about how it came about can be read here.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Is it possible to transfer to Harvard College from the ALM Extension program?

I Lamont said...

Considering the ALM program is a graduate program, no.

ALB students (the undergraduate program at Harvard Extension) can't do it, either -- the College currently doesn't accept transfers from anywhere. But why would you want to do that? The Extension School has many of the same instructors and courses as the College, and is recognized as one of the best undergraduate education options available to non-traditional students.

Anonymous said...

If that is the case then why does not Harvard College accept the credits and curriculum from such a respected program? I am going to be taking a few courses in Harvard Extension anyways, but these policies seem supect to me.

Anonymous said...

The purpose may be, to not only experience a great curiculum, but, have an competitive edge during interviews in addition to marketing oneself in the best light and so forth. I do realize that most colleges have superb professors and coursework regardless of whether they are Ivy League large schools or a good smaller University.
Chinese history does not change, parallel and series circuits still exist and a mole is a mole. Intelligent hard working people can virtually graduate from any graduate program and find gainful employment that is rewarding, however, the Harvard College degree in addition to all this offers an competitive edge and this is why people pay so much for it.
SAT scores are actually not the best predictors of future collegiate and career succes anyways, although standardized test do have there place.

Personally, I like the more democratic layout of the Extension Program, it is the Harvard College policy I disapprove of mostly.