Saturday, January 06, 2007

Real estate moves: Putting our Waltham house out for sale

We're getting ready to move. In the next few weeks we'll be putting our house in Waltham, Massachusetts on the market, and hope to be in a new home by the time spring rolls around.

On this blog, I rarely get into issues involving my personal life, but this news is worth mentioning, for two reasons. First, it directly impacts my graduation timeline at the Extension School -- my original plan was to wrap up my thesis by early 2007 and take my final class this spring, and graduate this June, but it now looks like I will put off the final class until the 2007-2008 school year.

The second reason for mentioning the house sale here is Harvard Extended is a great place to reach out to those readers who live in the Cambridge/Boston area and are either looking for a home, or know someone else on a house-hunting mission. This house is not only ideally located for a quick commute into Harvard Square or Brighton (I used to bike along the Charles River to work at Harvard, it took about 40 minutes; the drive was 20 minutes, and the bus commute via Waltham Center or Watertown Square was about 30-35 minutes), but also is just a few minutes from the Mass Pike (I-90) and Rte 128 (I-95), as well as smaller roads such as 16, 20 and 30. Waltham is a relatively affordable place to buy a single-family home when compared to Cambridge, Newton, Arlington, or Watertown, and our house is a gem -- it's in great condition, and is probably the largest "cape" you've ever seen, and includes four bedrooms (!), two bathrooms, a very large kitchen, and even a playroom for the kids (easily converted into a rec room or study). It has a fenced-in backyard, which is ideal for young kids. My wife also planted a very impressive perennial garden. It's about halfway between West Newton Square in Newton and Moody Street (I can walk to either in less than 20 minutes) and is also close to the Charles River walking and biking paths, which we use all the time for walks and picnics.

I've included a few pictures below from a few summers ago. If you're interested in learning more about the house, shoot me an email at ilamont@fas.harvard.edu

Our house on Arlington Road, Waltham, Massachusetts

No comments: