Thursday, June 23, 2005

Book on Chinese nationalism

In my lunchtime search for electronic archives of Chinese media sources, I came upon a book by Peter Hayes Gries entitled China's New Nationalism: Pride, Politics, and Diplomacy (you can read it here if you have a Harvard ID and PIN).

I haven't read the whole thing, but he makes a point about U.S. Chinese studies academics which jives with my earlier post on the character of seminars on China organized by Harvard academic departments. Gries writes:

Academic China watchers also tend to present a rosy picture of China, rarely speaking out on controversial issues such as human rights. Scholars like Andrew Nathan and Perry Link are the exceptions that prove the rule. Because they have spoken out against Chinese human rights violations, Chinese nationalists and government oRcials have subjected them to vicious personal attacks, and they have been denied visas to China.

Gries, Peter Hays (Author). China's New Nationalism: Pride, Politics, and Diplomacy.
Ewing, NJ, USA: University of California Press, 2004. p 2.
Copyright ©2004. University of California Press. All rights reserved.


I am hoping the book talks about the Chinese press, as well. When I get home, I will start writing a precis on Gries' book.

No comments: