Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Thesis update: Chapter 4 (draft) completed

I wrapped up the draft of chapter 4 of my thesis last night, and sent it into my thesis director. The focus of chapter 4 was analysis of the data presented in chapter 3. Chapter 4 was also the last chapter of my thesis, and contained a conclusion and recommendations for further research.

Chapter 4 came in at 28 double-spaced pages, making the total draft length (not including front matter, bibliography, or appendices) exactly 100 double-spaced pages long. The entire draft took 45 days to complete, mostly working on evenings and weekends. That may seem fast, but keep in mind that I was working from an outline that my thesis director approved, and this time does not include the year-and-a-half of research, data gathering, proposal writing, etc., that started in the spring of 2005.

More importantly, I've not received any feedback from my thesis director about the draft. It's conceivable that he'll ask for significant revisions, which could take a month or more to get through. Then I have to run it by the Extension School research advisor, who will vet the format and style.

In other words, I'm not out of the woods yet. Stay tuned ...

(Read earlier thesis updates here)

No comments: