Saturday, March 18, 2006

Raising Mandarin-speaking kids in America

We have two kids, a toddler and a preschooler. Before our preschooler was born, we pledged that we would make an effort to ensure she grew up being able to speak both English and Mandarin, to prepare her for a more internationally connected world, and to ensure that she can talk with her relatives in Taiwan.

For the first two and a half years of her life, she was exposed to Mandarin most of the time. At home, my wife spoke to her in Mandarin in 99% of their conversations, and myself, about 90% of the time. We read Chinese children's books to her, explained concepts to her in Mandarin, and showed her Mandarin VCDs and DVDs. She didn't attend daycare, and only had occasional contact with English-only speakers -- neighbors, my relatives, and a few kids living nearby.

The immersion strategy seemed to work. When she was 19 months and 25 days old, my wife and I sat down and recorded all of the words she was able to speak in both languages. Here's the Chinese list (translated into English):
duck, cow, horse, dog, cat, crow, bird, squirrel, mouse, pig, elephant, fish, turtle, ant, bear, monkey, rabbit, sheep (plus sounds they make)

telephone, key, toy, car, boat, book, door, baloon, shoes, socks, clothes, pants, belt, glasses, watch, hat, light, fridge, swing, candle, crayon, baby, diaper, bao bao (抱抱), kiss, bike

grapes, candy, vitamin, ice cream, noodles, rice, meat, egg, dofu, melon, banana, blueberries, cherry, strawberry, eat, bread, water, mushroom, soup, cookie, knife, fork, spoon, button, barette, air plane, music, bag, phone, fan, tea, beer, tomato, beans.

ear, nose, mouth, neck, knee, hands, tummy, belly button, hair, teeth, chin, feet, poop, pee

hot, cold, stinky

moon, sun, tree, cloud, rock, rain, stars, leaf, thunder, flower

eat, look, want/don't want, hurts, take a walk, swim, wash, cry, laugh, sleep, paint, open, close

mom, dad, grandpa, grandma, aunt (maternal & paternal), uncle (maternal)

thank you
Don't ask why she knew how to say beer (啤酒). Here's her English vocabulary list at the same point in time:
bird, bee, butterfly, boat, key, elephant, powder, teddy bear, juice, rui rui (raisins), ice cream, ye-you (yogurt), juice, bi-doom (baloon), soup, swing, slide, flower, pocket, telephone, uppie, big hug

delicious, beautiful, pretty, hot, cold, yuck-yuck, yum,

thank you, pleesh (please)
... plus the proper names of a few neighbors, as well as my parents' cats, and TV characters including Arthur, Barney, Elmo, and all four Teletubbies. Neither the Mandarin nor English lists include words that she understood, but could not say.

The Mandarin dominance began to shift very shortly after she started English-language preschool. Besides beefing up her English vocabulary, it also resulted in her asking me not to read stories to her in Chinese anymore and a newfound interest in English-language TV. By the time she turned four I'd say her Mandarin vocabulary was not as good as her English vocabulary, but her Mandarin grammar was definitely better than her English grammar, which often skipped articles and correct verb usage compared to her classmates. Sometimes Mandarin syntax will creep into her English conversation -- for instance, she'll say "open the light" instead of "turn on the light", which she gets from Mandarin (開燈).

We've tried to keep her Mandarin skills up to par as best we can. We subscribed to a satellite TV package which includes "Yoyo TV", a very good children's channel from Taiwan. We enrolled her in the local Chinese Community Center school, which meets every weekend, but she complains that "there aren't any toys there" like the English-language preschool. She still speaks Mandarin about 50% of the time with my wife, but never with me -- if I ask her a question in Chinese she'll answer in English.

Today, we took heart in the fact that she spoke entirely in Mandarin with a little friend who came over whose parents are from China, but I have a feeling that these types of exchanges will fade as both get older and enter the language and social atmospheres of the local public school system. We've thought about Chinese summer camp, or summers with the in-laws in Taiwan when she gets older, but judging by the experiences of my adult friends who grew up as ABCs or CBCs (American- and Canadian-born Chinese) it's very difficult to remain a proficient Mandarin speaker unless you spend lots of time in Taiwan or China.

As for our son, he is just learning how to talk, but we'll undoubtedly have an even tougher time with teaching him Mandarin. Why? The person he interacts with most during the day (aside from my wife) is his older sister, who speaks with him exclusively in English. This is a factor our daughter didn't have as an influence when she was his age. But we'll try pushing Mandarin with our son -- in the long run, even if he doesn't learn how to speak Mandarin properly, planting a nugget of the language in his brain will serve him well when he sees his relatives, explores his roots, develops an interest in doing work associated with Taiwan or China, or meets someone from either country.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Multilingualism is cool. It's great that people recognize the importance of it. Even having some degree of knowledge in other languages and cultures will help open up the world to them that much more.

And frankly, it makes people more interesting :)

Apoplexy said...

Apart from the coolness or whatever, I think what you have done is great..in fact what ur kid has done actually.I would like to emulate that as I start my family someday.
Thanks.
I think anyone in a diasporic culture who values his/her roots is a better equipped human being, more in otuch with one's "self".

Anonymous said...

There is a new video language series finally for people wanting to teach their babies, toddlers and preschoolers a second langague. It comes in four languages: Chinese, French, Spanish and English.
They introduced the first three DVDs in each language. Ultimately they'll have 12 DVDs in EACH language. For anyone trying to immerse a child in a foreign langauge, this could be something to look into. It is called www.LittlePim.com. We have found having a babysitter who speaks Spanish has allowed my daughter to pick up spanish fluently though we don't speak it Now that the babysitter is back in mexico, we have strated her on Little Pim and she loves it. We found Muzzy was just too old for her. She found it "scary" to watch when she was 2-3 (the story line of the princess being abducted from her parents house) is not only a bit old for her but for anyone it is a bit outdated. I think it was done in the 70s or something. Try Muzzy as some like it but also look into Little Pim if you have a 0-5 year old.) Main products: Spanish for babies, toddlers and preschooles. French for babies, toddlers and preschoolers and Chinese for babies, toddlers and preschoolers.

Anonymous said...

I am trying to teach my todler and my preschooler chinese but i have only started to learn it myself.
One of your goals should be to make chinese useful for your kids. I found that educative (early childhood targeted) cd-roms are a powerfull tool. It's a pitty that because, I cant read in chinese i have a hard time finding them in the internet. I found Wawa Yaya, Better Chinese. There is also an alternative called The Little Linguists Academy. Where kids have online lessons in groups of five. It would be graet if someone fluent could do this search too.

Anonymous said...

I am happy to talk to you. I have 3 kids. My husband does not know Chinese. I am the only resource. They are 6,7,and 8 years old now. Born and raised in American with little or no Chinese school education. They read, write, and speak at grade level as kids in Taiwan. They only use Chinese with me and among them ! They even tattle tell each other in Chinese ! You can contact me at yaninghsu@aol.com. I am a linguist and language teacher (English, ESL, Literacy and Chinese)

Unknown said...

I hear good things about mei mei dvds are great. I will like to know if her dvds are speaking madarin or cantonese?

Anonymous said...

Which DVDs and VCDs have you found useful? My children (3.5 and 5.5 years old) are just starting to learn Chinese and I've found that videos have certainly heightened their interest in the language. I've tried 'Journeys to the East - The River Dragon King' by http://www.MandarinAdvantage.com. It's similar to American TV shows that teaches in a fun way.

I've also enrolled them in weekend Chinese school, which also seems to help. They are speaking more Chinese words to me. =)

ellaella said...

I agree that DVDs or videos are a good way to increase the amount of Chinese kids hear at home. Have you had a look at the Culture Cubs DVDs? They are really great. They are fun, educational and entertaining. I just saw that they are now listed on Amazon.

Anonymous said...

My daughter is two and I have spoken mainly Mandarin with her. She is now comfortable with using both English and Mandarin to converse with Daddy (who is American) and me (Chinese). I too am concerned that when she starts preschool, she may lose the inclination to continue using Mandarin. I tried to teach her other Chinese dialects but it is hard since she only speaks them with me. I am very glad that I have friends living in the area with Chinese kids and we get together regularly. The website, Asianparents, has some nice resources. I bought Dora the Explorer (Mandarin version) for my daughter. It's great because she loves Dora.

I Lamont said...

Thanks for the comment, anon. I am going to check out Asianparents.

One thing to add, since I posted this blog many years ago, is that the best way to keep up Mandarin is regular visits to the homeland. Last summer we took the kids to Taiwan, and had them enroll in a local preschool program for the summer. They were only there four or five weeks, but it's INCREDIBLE how much there Chinese improved. They were speaking it with my wife when they came back (before my daughter spoke English 98% of the time) and even my son was speaking with me, and he hardly ever spoke Mandarin before he left (although he did understand a lot).

We're going to do the same thing this summer. It's relatively cheap (if you factor in airfare, it's about the same as sending them to a full-time day camp in the U.S.), it's good for language, and it's also good to connect with relatives over there.

Ian

I Lamont said...

(Sorry for the typos in the last comment, but there's no way to edit what I wrote)

Ian

David Ip said...

I have the exact same dilemma. If anyone has suggestions for my 2 kids, or like to discuss ideas, please email me davidipz@gmail.com.

Concierto said...

My nieces have found interest about learning mandarin they already speak fluently Spanish and English. Me or my sister don't have any background in Chinese, so there is no way for us to help in learning process, I hope there is something that will be good for me to buy as present to them that will keep them trying and help them learn. They are 9 and 11 hope someone can give me ideas