Saturday, June 11, 2005

Work and studies, and time-saving techniques ...

For the past week I've been busy with work ... I am covering for someone who's on vacation, which means I have two hours of additional work to do at home each day on the computer. This takes away from time that I could otherwise use for study.

But I still have time to think about my thesis proposal in the car. That's the way it is if you are an Extension School student with job and family responsibilities, or a really heavy class schedule ... you just have to make time to study in odd places and at odd times, or sacrifice times when you would otherwise relax, or be unproductive. I can't remember the last time I have read a novel -- practically any time I am opening a book, it's for class or for the ALM. And commuting is usually an unproductive section of people's daily schedule, but I have managed to use it for my studies.

I remember when I was working in Cambridge, I used to do tons of reading for class and for papers on the 71 and 70 busses. Now that I work in Framingham, I can't read during my half-hour car ride every weekday morning and afternoon, but at least I can think, as long as I turn off the radio.

1 comment:

Richi Jennings said...

And I appreciate the time you spent covering for me, I really do!